Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Working Mom's Edition of The Glad Game

Well I have officially made it back to work for a full week and two days with Quinn in daycare (I call it school). I'm not gonna lie, this was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. The decision to go back was hard, but the reality of being away from her all day hit me like a ton of bricks! I told Jeremy that it reminds me of when he and I dated long distance. It rips my heart out every time I have to leave her, but I just know I have to take full advantage of the time I have with her at home. Weekends are sacred to me now, so don't be surprised if I am selfish with Q on the weekends! :)

I am fine now, but those first four or five days were really hard and I couldn't seem to act like myself. I was really sad and I couldn't focus very well at work. Plus, I was a total Debbie Downer at home because I dreaded getting up the next day to take her to school. I think now that I am busy at work and I see she does great at school, I am feeling a lot better. I have a wall of Quinn photos at work and I tend to look at videos of her sporadically or while I am pumping (thank goodness for the "Mother's Room" where I had a few meltdowns early on.)

My wall of family.

We have some children's cds that we love and keep in the car. (I tend to keep them in even when Q isn't in the car because I kind of love the artist...more on that in a later post.) Anyway, one of the cds has the song "Keep on the Sunny Side" and I have been trying to do that more and more now that I am a working mom. I need to count my blessings! I have a friend going back to work as a nurse working the night shift...see it could be worse! When I was preggo I played the Glad Game for being preggo during a heat wave. Well, here we go again...

The Working Mom's Edition of the Glad Game!
  • I'm glad we can save significantly for Quinn's college and wedding fund every month.
  • I'm glad Quinn is ok being away from Mama for a while, and socializing with other kids and adults. Hopefully she won't be one of those clingy toddlers! 
  • I'm glad I get to have interaction with creative, intelligent, amazing adults at work all day and exercise my brain.
  • I'm glad we have a daycare (school) that we love with awesome curriculum and Christian principles. The kids say a blessing every day before snack time...how sweet is that! 
  • I'm glad I have a job that is FUN! 
  • I'm glad I have a job that is super flexible and a manager/team that is so sweet and supportive.
  • I'm glad we have extra money to travel, save and spoil Quinn!
  • I'm glad I have a husband who helps out at home to make this transition as easy as he can for us.
  • I'm glad to know I am sacrificing my time with Quinn and working for her well-being. As Jeremy put it, we are making a "down payment on her future."
  • I'm glad I get some freedom at lunch to shop, eat out with friends and coworkers, work out and do other adult things. This gives me more time at home with Quinn later!
  • Finally, I'm glad I have SO MANY other working mom friends that I can turn to for support, advice or just to talk about how blessed we are in our situations. 
I think there are positives and negatives to both sides : stay at home mom and working mom. I am going to try to look at only the positives of my side and continue to show Quinn how much I love her every single day!

Any other working moms out there have anything to add to the list?

0 comments: