Friday, August 30, 2013

A Day in the Life of a WAHM

It's been two months since I quit my full time job and started working part time from home with a toddler. There was definitely a transition period but I LOVE it now. I can't imagine our family functioning any other way during this season. I mean, we could if we had to, but we are very blessed to be able to make this work.

I've had so much fun seeing Quinn develop and I think Jeremy loves hearing stories when he comes home. I absolutely love teaching her things and seeing her figure things out on her own. Her vocabulary has grown exponentially since I've been home with her and I feel like she and I have a very special bond already.

I've gone through some interesting stages of thought during these last couple of months:

1. OMG, I don't have to go to work tomorrow. Best. Feeling. Ever.
2. OMG, I have to hang out with an independent, bossy toddler all day. Scariest. Feeling. Ever.
3. OMG, how the crap do I get anything done w/ said crazy toddler.
4. OMG, please don't wake up from a nap after only 40 minutes since I haven't gotten enough work done!
5. OMG, I feel so guilty letting Quinn watch a little TV while I get some work done.
6. OMG, thank goodness for PBS, Sound of Music and other educational TV so I can get some work done.
7. OMG, it's so freaking hot outside! What do I do with a toddler on overdrive?!
8. OMG, I think I have this figured out.
9. OMG, I think Quinn is getting bored. Mother's Day Out will be awesome for both of us!
10. OMG, I love our life and I can't imagine it any other way.

I pretty much only get dressed about three days a week, and I don't feel the need to shop for cute outfits since my wardrobe right now is mostly running shorts/tank tops/t-shirts. Blessing and a curse I guess?

Here's what a typical day in my life looks like.

6am - Wake up to work out, run, etc. Once Q is awake, there's not another chance. Running w/ the jogging stroller is killer w/ the hills in our neighborhood and by the time she goes to sleep at night I'm already in my pjs ready to hit the couch for cuddle time.

7:30 - 9ish - Jeremy usually always gets Q out of bed in the mornings while I'm finishing up my workouts. After he gets his goodbye kisses, Q and I eat breakfast, I get some work done and she watches Sesame Street, Curious George, Cat in the Hat and/or other random shows we have on our computer.

9ish - 11:30ish - We do something to keep Q busy. Options include: go to the park, play in the backyard w/ the water hose, slide or pool, go to story time at the library, go to a friend's house for a play date, go swimming, etc. She gets a snack at about 10am and she'll let you know if she hasn't gotten that yet.

*Typically after our morning fun, I shower. (Don't judge: I don't shower before morning play dates, library trips or anything else for that matter.) I try to keep showers to about 5-10 minutes because when I get out, I'm scared to see what Q's gotten into. Sometimes I just put her in the shower with me. It's nice to keep toddlers contained sometimes. HAHA!

Noonish - Lunch for Q. (I like to eat in peace after she's asleep.)

12:30-1ish - Read books and down for a nap for Q.

1:01 - I pray that Quinn will take a good nap a) so I can get some work done and b) so she won't be a monster starting at about 4:30pm.

1-3 - I'd love to say this is my alone time where I lay around and read a book or craft. But, I don't. I sit at the kitchen table, eat lunch and work. Mama's gotta bring in the cash! :) I love that I get to contribute financially to our family and still have this life w/ Quinn.

3ish - 5:30ish - find more busy stuff to do with Q. We'll go stroll around Target or Walmart, play upstairs, visit my mom's house, go check out books at the library, play with Ella, etc. Since it's so hot, there aren't many choices. I can't wait until it cools off and we can just hang out outside all the time.

6ish - Daddy's home! I start cooking and we all sit down to eat dinner around 6:15ish. Jeremy is really good about taking Q and having some daddy/daughter time while I cook in peace.

7ish - bath/books routine starts

Then hopefully by about 8:15 Quinn is out and Jeremy and I have our alone time. This summer we flew through the entire five seasons of Friday Night Lights and now we are on to The West Wing. I've been so blessed to be able to get work done during the day so I can save the evenings for time w/ J. I'd say on average I work about 3 hours a day (sometimes more, sometimes less).

Working full time out of the home was so hard, exhausting and unfulfilling for me. I know a lot of women love it and I love them for that. I have so much respect for my friends who love their jobs and somehow balance family life. Being a work-at-home-mom is just as hard and honestly WAY more exhausting, but I am so much more fulfilled at the end of the day.

Q starts Mother's Day Out next week so our routines will change a bit. I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done, participating in a BSF and getting work done w/out racing against the nap clock. I think Q is probably looking forward to being around friends and her sweet teachers for a while...Mama and Ella don't quite cut it sometimes.

Stay tuned for more on that.

Being a WAHM is hard, but awesome...I feel so blessed and thankful!


0 comments: