Friday, November 18, 2011

Quinn is Here!

Well, we have a little Jeremy girl clone on our hands! Quinn Margaret Sylestine was born on November 8 at 7:42 a.m. via a c-section. She weighed 9 lbs. 2 oz. and measured 21" long...I totally guessed it right on the money!

We are so in love with her and there's no doubt she is Jeremy's baby girl. I keep telling her I promise I am her mama even though she has none of my features (right now at least). :)

The birth was pretty amazing. On the way to the hospital, Jeremy and I prayed together and I told him it felt like it was all to good to be true. I never experienced contractions (other than Braxton Hicks), never had my water break and never had to actually go into labor. I just went to the hospital and they gave me a baby. Okay, it was a little more difficult than that (and honestly a c-section isn't ideal since it's major surgery), but it seemed odd not going to the hospital in frantic labor mode. 

Getting ready to have a baby!

SuperDad getting all prepped for surgery.

We got to the hospital at 5 a.m. and they got me all prepped for surgery. We went into the delivery room at 7:15 a.m. and it took them less than 30 minutes to get Quinn out of about a 5" incision in my lower belly. The whole thing still seems surreal, but I remember every moment. The nurse anesthetist was amazing and talked me through the entire process. She told Jeremy when to look over the curtain and she even took our camera and became our photographer after Quinn was born. I remember the minute I heard her cry, I started bawling. It's the most emotional experience in the world and I remember wanting to just touch her immediately.

 Welcome to the world Baby Q!

 Getting her footprints in the baby book...she has the longest feet and fingers.

They brought her up close to my head where I could see her and touch her before they took her to weigh her and clean her up. Jeremy was part of that whole process while I watched and the doctor put me back together.

Mama and Daddy love you so much Baby Quinn!

It seems like it all happened so fast and then we were in the recovery room where the great labor and delivery nurses took good care of me. Jeremy and Quinn went to the nursery where our families were able to see their new bundle of joy for the first time and they got her all cleaned up, gave her some shots and took some blood, and got her ready to come see her mama in recovery. The poor baby came out of the womb starving...her sucking reflex was instant. Just another crazy miracle in the whole birth process.

I was able to feed her a little in the recovery room which was good because her blood sugar was low (it shot up after that). It was nice to have some alone family time in the recovery room with just the three of us. I can't believe we are a family of three now...let the adventure begin!

After I fed her, they took me to my room and Jeremy got to go with her to the nursery again for her first bath. It's probably good I didn't see the bath since it sounds like they scrub her down with a hard brush and it's not exactly gentle.

 "Why are you doing this to me?!"

I finally got to meet up with Quinn and Jeremy in the room after that, and our families were able to come in and visit. I am so glad that most of my family was able to come in to meet Quinn on her birthday, and Jeremy's mom was able to be there as well.

 My mom...proud Nannie Mae.

Jeremy's mom...proud Granny.

My dad...proud PawPaw.

My stepdad...proud Papa D.

My grandmother, Quinn's great-grandmother...proud Mimi.

My sister...proud Auntie Em.

My brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law...proud Uncle Justin and Aunt Abby.

*My Pawpaw and Sherrie were there too, but he wasn't feeling well so they had to leave. It meant a lot to have them there though!

There's so much more I want to write about the hospital experience, feeding her (and the frustration of breastfeeding...grrrr), coming home and getting used to having a baby at home, but it will have to wait. Quinn needs to eat and I am getting used to revolving my schedule around hers...which is probably what I will do the rest of my life. :)

More later!

0 comments: