Sunday, October 10, 2010

Some New Stuff

I have been going to/trying a few new things lately and I wanted to share.

Junior League of Austin



My mom was in Junior League growing up and I remember all the fun stuff she got to participate in. My main goal in joining JLA is to get more involved in service projects. The one my mom used to do was the WHO program. I am not exactly sure what WHO stands for, but I remember my mom and her JL friends coming to my elementary school in their denim aprons. They would do a little presentation with an owl puppet that said "whoooooo" and teach us how to handle a stranger. (You know, don't take candy or get in their car...that sort of thing.) The Austin chapter is extremely service-driven and I love that. Don't get me wrong, we have some fun, but we love to serve. The service project we are doing as provisional members is called FIT (Food In Tummies). We provide a backpack of food for every student in an elementary school that is 98% on the free lunch program. This backpack goes home with them on the weekend so that they will eat (healthily) over the weekend and come back on Monday ready to learn. I have LOVED this! We did a sort of "pep rally" for the kids at the beginning of the school year and it was awesome.

Fall Smells w/ My New Scentsy

I LOVE the Fall. In fact, I might just write a post about my favorite season, but for a sneak peek, I will tell you about how wonderful my house smells! My cousin, Monica, recently started a business selling Scentsy products. If you haven't heard of them, check out Monica's site and buy one! They are awesome! It's basically like having a candle, but there is no fire involved and it spreads the fragrance all over the house. Right now my fragrance is Autumn Sunset and it's lovely!

Bikram/Sweaty Yoga

My friend, Laura, recommended that I try out Sweaty Yoga at Black Swan Yoga. It took me a while but I finally tried it and I loved it! It's not exactly like Bikram yoga, but it's close. The room is only about 90 degrees instead of 100-105 degrees, we do different poses every time and the class is only an hour long instead of 90 minutes. Recently, my sweet hubby (who is obsessed w/ deal-a-day sites) got a 10-session Bikram yoga deal for me. I am excited to start trying that and it will be interesting to see how my body becomes stronger, more flexible and hopefully leaner. I can't run as much as I used to, so hopefully yoga can become my new practice. (As Jeremy and I have come to realize, we are getting old!) But, I love that yoga slows me down and forces me to pray and meditate. I can strengthen my faith and my body at the same time.

Music Discovery

As most of you know, Jeremy and I LOVE music. It's fun to live in a city that encourages us to try new artists and gives us the opportunity to become more aware of new music. Our October is filled with lots of fun concerts! In college, my friend Phil introduced me to an artist named Griffin House. I have one of his albums and I have loved that album for a while now. For some reason, Jeremy recently became interested in him as well, and we got a couple more albums. He is a secular artist, but the underlying tone in a lot of his songs is spiritual. He is also really romantic and always makes me wonder who he is writing all these songs for. Another amazing artist that I am obsessed with lately is Tyrone Wells. If you watch Grey's Anatomy, you have probably heard his music. Our community pastor randomly ran into him last year at South by Southwest and struck up a conversation. Turns out that Tyrone's dad is a preacher! He has an AMAZING voice and he too is secular, but his songs have an underlying Christian theme. He actually came and sang at our church and made me cry. Check him out!!

What new things have you experienced lately?

0 comments: